Friday, February 18, 2011

The best steak tacos

So as most of you know I have been married a little over 2 years now and for the last 2 years I have been perfecting my cooking skills. Poor people Chinese food is what I am actually pretty good at but it is not the most delish to the average people and it does not always look fantastic. So since I married Ryan I have been branching out to other things and making some yummy yummy delish food.

Steak Tacos (or whatever else you want to use the steak to make)

Story: My friend Emily posted on her blog about Backyard Mexican. BM is actually not a restaurant but a family cooking in their backyard every weekend and you can go and buy food and sit in their backyard to eat. Delish Mexican food might I add. Well, I learned how they cooked their meat and I have not been back since. They used just steak and salt, but I added a few other things. Here is my version.

Steak:
Thin sliced chuck
Sea salt
chili powder
garlic powder
cumin
smoking chips (I think mesquite is best but I use hickory cuz it was what I had)

Rub the chuck with sea salt, chili, garlic and cumin. I would go easy on the cumin because cumin is a really potent spice. Let it sit over night in the fridge.

BBQ the meat till the edges is a little brown and crispyish or to your liking. Remember the wood chips*

Chop up the meat to small pieces for serving and serve with pico, guac, chopped up cabbage, hot sauce, etc.

You can use this for tacos, steak salad, tostatas, I don't know...whatever you want.

My recommendation for tortilla is use the uncooked ones and cook them fresh when serving. It is totally worth the work!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment